Ensuring Successful Subject Leadership in History in a Creative Curriculum EYFS– Year 6
Rationale of the day
The day will be a very practical, interactive and content rich day providing timely support for educator’s new to subject leadership in history as well as those with more experience. The course will include the key elements of an enquiry based, outcome driven creative history curriculum and a wide variety of examples. All delegates will receive history learning and teaching activities and schemes of work to use in the context of their own schools. These will also serve as models which colleagues can use to plan and resource their own learning enquiries.
Key Objectives, all colleagues will leave:-
- With increased knowledge and understanding of the key requirements that contribute to the strategic priorities of a subject lead, curriculum vision, planning, implementation and inclusion
- Understanding the key principles of designing and resourcing challenging and progressive long term plans for history and medium term plans for each geographical enquiry
- Having experienced how to plan for progression in both substantive and disciplinary knowledge and assess pupil outcomes against end points of learning in an inclusive and manageable way
- Having gained practical experience of high-quality history learning and teaching at different stages.
- With increased confidence, resources, and inspiration to design and resource their own programmes of history
Outline for the day
09.00 Key Messages: Ensuring successful subject leadership in a creative geography curriculum
11.00 Principles into practice: EYFS To include: Story gateways, The great fire of London, Kings and Queens
11.45 Principles into practice: KS1 To include: Great explorers, History makers, Local History,
13.15 Principles into practice: LKS2 To include: Stone Age, Iron Age, Romans
14.15 Principles into practice: UKS2 To include: Shang Dynesty, Battle of Britain, Ancient Egypt.
Feedback from online and face to face Inset over the past 12 months
An absolutely brilliant day with loads to take from it. Extremely useful to support our school with the development of history
Really enjoyed the activities, discussions, and hands on approach. I feel very motivated
The course leader was fantastic. He had great subject knowledge & made everyone feel included and confident.
Thank you Gyles for your enthusiasm, knowledge and inspiration
One of the best and most practical courses I have been on. Great ideas and resources